1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Best fertiliser for grass seeds?

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Homervanderjazz, 14 Jun 2019 at 3:55 AM.

1. Homervanderjazz

Homervanderjazz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So I have used the Evergreen 4 in 1 to get rid of weeds and improve the health of the grass. I still have to rake this weekend after which I will scatter some grass seeds as there are some bald patches.

Someone in work said use some sort of fertiliser when doing so as it will keep birds from eating the seeds and also will help the grass grow.

Do any of you have any recommendations as to what type of fertiliser would be best for the job? Thanks for your help

2. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Some grass seed is treated to repel birds eating it (the manufacturers claim), you can find it in the diy sheds.

The best way i have found, is to cover the seed with a fine tilth, then roll it. It grows through when its germinated and the birds aren't then interested. I used john innes for smaller patches, and spread the seed more thickly than is recommended.

The best fertiliser is water and plenty of it especially over the first few days.

Blup

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Bup has got it right, you need to make sure the seeds are not visible to the birds but water lightly a couple of times each day rather than soak it once a day. This can cause it to rot before it germinates.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Homervanderjazz

Homervanderjazz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies folks, will give it a bash this weekend