1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Best filler for shakes in wooden posts.

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Larry1990, 11 Apr 2021.

1. Larry1990

Larry1990

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys,

I built a little lean to shelter recently and there are some quite pronounced shakes in the post. I'd like to fill them to improve the appearance, is there any recommended product for this or would I be fine with regular wood filler/linseed oil putty? I'd like to paint it at some point.

Cheers Larry

Attached Files:

Last edited: 11 Apr 2021
  2. Swwils

Swwils

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Because they taper off to nothing they can be hard to fill and you are likely to open the wood up elsewhere.

Use a CPES - Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer first for best results, you most likely will need to open it up a little more aswell.

After you have created this firm surface with CPES, believe it or not Everbuild Stixall is a ideal caulk for this job, it's cheap, flexible and technically a vinyl composite adhesive. If you want a truly permanent repair it will achieve this, as removing it will result in destruction of the wood. You could also use something like 3M 5200 but it's much more expensive.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. Larry1990

Larry1990

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. Swwils

Swwils

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could try some high performance wood filler first, and see how you go.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sponsored Links