Best filler for shakes in wooden posts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I built a little lean to shelter recently and there are some quite pronounced shakes in the post. I'd like to fill them to improve the appearance, is there any recommended product for this or would I be fine with regular wood filler/linseed oil putty? I'd like to paint it at some point.

Cheers Larry

Attachments

• IMG_20210411_170515_359.jpg
    IMG_20210411_170515_359.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Because they taper off to nothing they can be hard to fill and you are likely to open the wood up elsewhere.

Use a CPES - Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer first for best results, you most likely will need to open it up a little more aswell.

After you have created this firm surface with CPES, believe it or not Everbuild Stixall is a ideal caulk for this job, it's cheap, flexible and technically a vinyl composite adhesive. If you want a truly permanent repair it will achieve this, as removing it will result in destruction of the wood. You could also use something like 3M 5200 but it's much more expensive.

Sponsored Links
You could try some high performance wood filler first, and see how you go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back