Best Filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon

I have always used polyfilla in the past and find it quite hard to smooth down.

We have had some work to the damaged plaster work in our block of flat's communal hall and the contractor has used this filler which was really smooth.

Can anyone give me any tips of the best stuff to use?

George0401

Sponsored Links
Toupret interior is the smoothest I have used..but its no easier to rub down than polyfilla..(which shouldnt be hard to rub down by the way..unless you have left it to get a bit damp, and then dry again)

DONT bother with Mangers..its like gravel and you can rub it down with your bare hands...its krap

Thank you Zampa for the information

It is more the smoooth finish that I am after.

Regards

george0401

easy fill is the best I have used,very easy to apply and rubbing down is a cinch, if painting over it then it needs sealing or it grins through the emulsion as they all do

Sponsored Links
Easi Fill is the best and easiest to use. Love the stuff, very easy to mix, dries fairly quickly and real easy to sand down also. I used it on dryline as well as plaster and the stuff is top notch

i personally like to use joint cement, it`s used for filling in between tapered edge plasterboard, but i use it on everything even wood, you can get it ready mixed or in bags you mix yourself, and it`s really easy to rub down, if your filling really deep holes in walls, apply in layers.

Easi Fill is the best and easiest to use. Love the stuff, very easy to mix, dries fairly quickly and real easy to sand down also. I used it on dryline as well as plaster and the stuff is top notch

Its not much good on deep holes though as it shrinks and sinks a bit...great on flat walls though and a lot cheaper tan standard filler.

What i generally do for deep holes is give it two coats as your right it does sink in. Once you apply second coat your good to go but it does depend on what you mean by deep holes

Easifil for everything.

Deep holes - I use Carlite to bring up to about 1mm short of finish level once its tightened up, just skim over with Easifil.

Only problem with Carlite you can only get it in enormous bags which usually last me a year!

Even for nail and screw heads in new wood work ardy?

Zampa, ive used the stuff on wood work and its excellent. Once sanded and painted over, you cant even tell any filler has been used. Ive also used it to cover screw holes on some MDF, just given a single coat of undercoat so far and you cant really tell where filler has been used

Ive heard joint filler is even better but more difficult to use however I wonder what they mean by its more "difficult" to use

Ive used joint filler..if its the same stuff as your talking aobut..I went into an old style hardware shop looking for easi fil..the old fella had a bag of joint filler that he had opened that he let me have for 2 quid!..

Brilliant stuff..you could fill deep holes etc and face fill with it..hardly any shrinkage either, and it was white!

Its a lot harder than easi fil to rub down though..but it does its job well.

It lasted me a couple of years too..

That defo sounds like the same Joint filler im on about. They use it a lot for tape joining in the dryline industry and your right, it is a little more difficult to rub down compared to easy fil but even then quite easy to rub down in general. Ive not applied it personally but have rubbed it down on some dryline walls, great stuff also

easy fill is the best I have used,very easy to apply and rubbing down is a cinch, if painting over it then it needs sealing or it grins through the emulsion as they all do

Sorry to hijack, I too have had this problem of filler showing through - even if I thin the emulsion down and brush it on the filler a couple of times (and wait to dry) prior to rolling. I've used lots and lots of filler (easi-fill actually). Can you recommend if an oil based undercoat should be used? If so, I'll need to apply it to all the walls in the bedroom - just wondering what brand and should the oil UC be thinned with owt - and by how much?

Also, I'm using Dulux retail. Is there any advantage to using trade - better coverage?

Much appreciated.

Ta,

3rd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back