Best fixing for glass clamp to timber?

That’s the ones :)

I can’t find any M8 ones locally. I’ve tried Bapps and the local ironmongers.

Sponsored Links
Is there a special bit that would drill a large (10mm?) hole very accurately into wood?

Is there a special bit

A brad point drill is the proper bit for wood, but I just usually use HSS bits. You always get some splintering at the top, it's almost unavoidable without using a router. The bracket will cover that anyway. If you clamp on a piece of scrap-wood first, you can avoid the tearing, but then lining it up to drill in the right place becomes a nightmare.

What's more important is you making sure the drill is at 90° in both axis. Use a guide if you're worried (make one from Lego maybe)...

CGardner-Drill-Guide-in-Action.jpg

You could use a 10mm spade bit, they are used from both sides, drill till tip emerges and then turn over a use that hole to drill back which helps prevent splintering.

Sponsored Links
I can’t find any of the inserts near Rochdale. Closest ones I can find online are 20 miles away in Blackburn, i’ve e-mail to see if I can collect 40 in the morning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back