Best fixings to secure flange to brick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to secure this flange to the brick wall of my house next to the patio doors.

Flange.jpg

This will be used to stabilise a 4.6m wide parasol so there will be a wee bit of pushing and pulling by the wind.

Firstly, should I make sure I drill into the brick and not the mortar?

I was just going to use plugs with hex head coach screws but if there are better options then please let me know.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
The base should stabilise the parasol?
Not this one!
It's a wide multilever one so the base needs to be really heavy which means I can't transport it into a corner when I'm done.
I am using a base and it's light enough for me to just lift and drag it back into the corner but not heavy enough to stabilise it when opened.
You can buy all these various weight wedges but they're bloomin' expensive. Did try using a dolly trolley to no avail.

Sponsored Links
I made a box on wheels and filled with concrete , allow me to move it with easy and held large parasol with ease . Clad in plastic decking it lasted well.

I made a box on wheels and filled with concrete , allow me to move it with easy and held large parasol with ease . Clad in plastic decking it lasted well.
That would probably do it for mine too. I already tried something similar though.

I initially stuck the parasol base in a large tub and filled it with decorative gravel after putting it on the dolly trolley, but it still blew over with the occasional freak gust. I took it off the dolly trolley and it was fine but obviously could no longer move it.

I also have the problem of the parasol itself (not the base) turning around in the wind, probably because it's a cheap one! Hopefully this will stop it.

If it doesn't work out, I might try your method. Maybe mine wasn't heavy enough or the wheels on the dolly trolley were too big, hence the base too far off the ground.

Thanks very much.

Yes, tub has too small a base , made mine 3’x2’ and 6” deep.
Should be a lock screw to stop rotation, or drill thru pole and add a pin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back