Best gas to use for copper pipe soldering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever I have done small amounts of plumbing previously, I have just used a small blow torch with butane / propane mixed gas canister.
Everything has worked fine although I do get an occasional flare, and it doesn't work upside down.
Having recently purchased a property which requires extensive renovation, I've just started on the plumbing but my gas canister has run out.
I can buy a new mixed canister for a few pounds but wondered if I'm better upgrading to a better tool.
What are the differences between pure propane and mixed gas, and would it be worth investing in MAPP gas, or is that just going to heat things up too quickly?

I have seen a rothenberger propane torch for about £40 - is this a good buy?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Sponsored Links
The Map gas is a lot hotter.

Much quicker for an experienced professional but not realy recommended for most DIYers as it is a lot hotter and that can cause soldered joints to fail.

The good torches do work upside down though which is an advantage.

Tony

I find the MAPP gas far superior, and worth the extra cost. The Rothenberger torch is good quality, certainly value for money IMO. Keep the flame on the move to avoid applying too much heat to one spot. (Even then its very quick to get the work hot enough to allow the solder to flow, caution advised until you get used to it!)

Sponsored Links
I've never used anything but Propane and it copes well with fitting sizes up to 35mm. Primus bottle with a Powerjet burner.

Same as 45year and the bottle doubles up as a hammer when you cant be ar5ed going to fetch the proper one :LOL:

The black bottle will be fine for most purposes and as you are new to professional gas torch i think it would be better for you to start with it

I have two gas torches on the van one is a spare the main one i use normally has the Mapp gas,but thats due to years of experience and knowing exactly how to heat the joint for soldering

I always use Propane. I prefer the slightly slower 'cook' with Propane, rather than blitzing it with Mapp. Its like oven-roast versus microwave. You can overheat joints with Mapp more easily.

Don't bother with Rothenberger. Get the Bernzomatic version. Its exactly the same torch, but the different name means they are available ten or twenty quid cheaper.

This bloke is selling them at £30 inc P&P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bernzomatic-t...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3caf220fc2

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
There are two different types of the Rothenberger, a quickfire2 and a superfire.

They both look very similar but whats the actual difference?

Are both types available in the Benzomatic name?

Tony

i use both....mapp gas most for outside/large pipe...ie gas runs

mapp can also help sometimes when u can't just get rid of the last bit of water in the pipe.

i carry a roll of leaded and unleaded..... (keep the unleaded for show..lol) (not really :rolleyes: )

There are two different types of the Rothenberger, a quickfire2 and a superfire.

They both look very similar but whats the actual difference?

Are both types available in the Benzomatic name?

Tony

Superfire has a smaller burner and jet so they are a bit slower, not very good for 22mm it'll solder 22mm just a bit slow, no chance outside if its windy.

Always use propane same as some of the lads, Mapp I only use for boiling out water. Outside in winter use old primus torches 1" burners with big soft flames completely envelopes the pipe, up ladders in the wind nothing else touches them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back