Best gas to use for copper pipe soldering

Hi Tony

The Roth. Superfire 2 is the same as the Bernzo. TS7000. The Roth. always seems to carry a price premium for some reason.

Ian

Well in that case, what is the Surefire?

Which is better?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Does that cover the burner end unscrewing and falling off?

Or the turbulator falling out?

Tony

WOW

Thanks very much for all the responses.

So I get that MAPP is hotter than propane What about the mixed butane / propane gas - no mention of them?

I found the instructions for my cheap blow torch (a Taymar 2000pz) and it claims to be non flare and suitable for using upside down.

Since I'm only going to be doing plumbing inside, I wonder whether I will get a noticably better performance with a more professional model?

And can I use pure propane with this torch or will it melt / damage it?

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links
There are two different types of the Rothenberger, a quickfire2 and a superfire.

They both look very similar but whats the actual difference?

Are both types available in the Benzomatic name?

Tony

Hi Tony

The Roth. Superfire 2 is the same as the Bernzo. TS7000. The Roth. always seems to carry a price premium for some reason.

Ian

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=139706

http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS...d/1009/xmid/6943/xmfid/3/Default.aspx[/QUOTE]

Errr no the bernzomatic is the quickfire not the superfire 2 ! the images are not of the same thing look at the burner head.

Does that cover the burner end unscrewing and falling off?

Or the turbulator falling out?

Whatever happens at any time to it, take it back to the merchants, have a moan and they will either change it or give you a service kit foc.

A torch for life! Suddenly the 'Berger seems like a bargain. Just keep the receipt.

Will get one next time, so that I will have something to leave the kids. I've pi$$$ed away everything else! :rolleyes: ;)

The gas torches are made for Rothenberger by Benzomatic,the superfire two is the premium gas torch with swirl head so the gas get around all the pipe especially larger diameter stuff

Rothenberger dont actually make any tools,they are branding company thats all

not a fan of mapp gas, over rated. ordinary propane is much better.

The problem with DIYers is they love to literally want fittings to melt before applying solder. By then, the flux has burnt away and the solder wont 'take'. I just use propane with a very controlled heat. Any plumber worth his salt can tell immediately if the solder is not 'taking'. With the amount of good advice on the net, I fail to see how DIYers cant get it right.

Look up 'the scruff'

Penfold46

Butane is cooler than propane.
Your Taymar will give you a big flame which will set fire to anything within a mile, though it isn't all that hot.
Also it WILL flare.
Also you can't turn it off quickly by just letting go of the trigger - a major safety point if you drop something, say.
The smaller Rothenberger Quickfire is fine for 15/22/28/35mm indoors.
The bigger Superfire can be controlled , but it's still a big flame.
I prefer a Superfiire with the Quickfire burner, as the flame's more compact.
Mapp gas is handy for doing 54mm... :)

The point about not overheating is very true.

I've always used Powerflow flux for many years, not everyone likes it, but I do. Lead free solder seems to 'wet' copper better than the old stuff.

That's fantastic
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think that with the amount of plumbing I need to do, I should probably invest in a new torch.
And if Benzomatic manufacture for Rothenberger, that's what I'll go for.

Cheers

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back