Soldering torch and gas recommendation

Sponsored Links
Yup I've got a rottenbugger and use mapp gas all the time then if there's a bit of water about it don't matter as the mapp gets the job hot enough and I braze with mine also and I use la co flux as it's the best I think IMHO.Bob

Sponsored Links
dont use benzomatic over rothenbergr the reason is rothy have a flame control to regulate the burner flame to low ! .Benzos dont thats why they are £38 different .such a difference when soldering lightweight fittings

Fancy gas isn't essential for indoors it's all about technique.
I've only had one joint leak, done up to 28mm no trouble. Used whatever torch wickes sold cheapest. Try to do as many connections as you can on the bench, then do the final ones under the floor.
The prep is important and for bigger joints always heat all around the fitting not just one side. No need to heat the pipe, and the solder in the fitting should be plenty.
You need very little flux but the pipe and fitting must be clean.
I tend on large fittings to heat the bottom of the fitting more at first then switch to the top once it melts.
For bigger fittings I turn the gas down to give me more time to warm it up.
All a case of it works for me, but you just need practice u until you can do it reliably.
I've had a few good tips off members here so hope I can pass it on.

Edit was I pressed post too early, sorry

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back