Best lagging to use for HW pipes in loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As mentioned in my other posts, my cylinder installation and all pipework in the loft was not lagged at all (apart from contravening BRegs in various other ways...)

The HE who's come and put right the other problems has (graciously?) said it would be a waste of my money to employ him (as a HE) to lag all the exposed pipe, as I could do it quite easily myself.

So...any advice which lagging to buy/where from? From a little research I have heard of Armaflex, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Would say B&Q's own make (Climaflex?) be all right?
Also, what thickness to buy?
Finally, any other pointers how to put it on the pipes?

As usual, thanks to all who have helped me emerge from my ignorance.

Sponsored Links
Also, any other pointers how to put it on the pipes?

Try B&q or Wickes and buy the correct size 15mm or 22mm. Open the lagging up and place on pipe work. I like to use cable ties every 300mm, that way it doesn't move. Easy job to do. Make sure you have a board to stand on in the loft and have good lighting.

Andy

Climaflex is the one I'd go for.Its split along its entire length and as such is easy to fit to existing pipework.Buy the sizes to fit your pipework,ie 15 or 22 mm.Mitre the elbows and tees and for a professional look use tape over the joints to finish it off.I use duct tape and cable ties to secure it.

you want to use armaflex as it is much more flexible and will bend around corners even 90 degree elbws so no need to cut and mess around with joints on corners, you can get either interior or exterior and the sizes you'll need, it is more pricy but well worth it, it is split all the way down it's length so just put over pipes and cable tie, you'll save time on fitting so extra cost is paid back there, most merchants will keep in stock

Sponsored Links
BSS do a cheaper version of Armaflex which is good, think its called insultube or somin, can't remember. Armaflex has self-adhesive slits though which is good, saves using loads of tape.

Insul-Tube is made by NMC, the same people who make Climaflex

I'd advise the OP to contact Rentokil if there were rodents in his/hers loft !

Further to the above -

I've got some pipes, both hot and cold, which were fitted very close to each other. There isnt enough room to get any lagging onto the pipes so I've been advised to use fiberglass / felt / foil rolls instead. Is it recommended to wrap all the pipes up together? Or should I try and wrap the hot ones separately to the cold ones?

Thanks...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back