Best location for bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to work out where to put the extractor fan for my bathroom. There is no space on the outside wall so it has to go in the ceiling. The shower will be in one corner and I would have thought the best place would be over the shower, but if the vent goes straight up it is well nigh impossible to get to it in the loft unless I employ a small child (which I don't have!) to crawl under the roof beam and into the eaves.

I'm building a false ceiling which makes life slightly easier, so I appear to have two possibilities:

1. Place the fan over the shower and run the vent approx 1m horizontally inside the false ceiling and then up through the roof.

2. Place the fan about 500mm outside the shower and go up vertically. It's only a small room (2m x 1.5m) so there is not a huge amount of air to clear.

Which do you think is preferable? And if I go for option 2, do I still need a condensation trap or does the horizontal run take care of that?

Alan

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I meant "If I go for option 1, do I need a condensation trap".

Alan

Put your extractor vent as close as possible to the "point of production" of moisture, i.e the shower head. Our bathroom had the extract point about 1.5 metres away from the shower head when we moved in and we had condensation problems - moving it to above the shower head cured it.

Sponsored Links
Just need to keep the hose length short as possible.(My fan is connected to hose with just 300mm of hose before exiting roof vent.)Should not need a condensation trap if you have a decent run on time after turning off .

I took a leaf out of the dust extraction guys' book and piped mine up with a slight downwards slope towards the outside wall and smooth bore pipe rather than the concertina carp they so often come with

Just need to keep the hose length short as possible.(My fan is connected to hose with just 300mm of hose before exiting roof vent.)

Well this is exactly my dilemma. Put the fan half a meter from the shower and have less than a meter of vertical pipe to the roof, or put the fan right over the shower and have nearer 2 meters of pipe.

I took a leaf out of the dust extraction guys' book and piped mine up with a slight downwards slope towards the outside wall

I would have preferred to go out through the wall but there's no space for the fan. And the wall is 18" millstone grit so a roof tile is a much easier option, especially as the roof needs some maintenance anyway.

Alan

its worth keeping in mind the general best airflow is from the 12mm airgap under the bathroom door drawing the fresh warm air in from the rest off the house pretty much in a tube in a line to the fan off course it will eventually draw from all corners but keep this in mind if the fan is nearer the door it will take longer than iff the fan is above or behind the shower

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back