Best location for radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got some small radiators under windows. A guy from BGas came round and advised moving them away as that's the current advice. I was looking at taking them out and just increasing the size of the other radiatoir. Any views?

Also I've been advised that the best location to put them is towards the centre of the house.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The theory says put in the middle of house as you dont lose heat directly out of windows but in practise most people put them under windows to mask the cooler air in front of them.
Personally prefer under windows just dont have the curtains in front of rad when closed amazing how many people do it

Put the heat where it's cold, why heat a warmer area?

Wherever you put it you should achieve the correct temp in the centre of the room, trouble is if you sit without anything between you and the window you'll know subconsciously that there's cold over there whether you're actually cold or not. Bit like orange and white light bulbs, no difference just one looks warmer.

Personal opinion only.

BG guys opinion might be swayed by the increased value of the sale.

Sponsored Links
Several smaller rads, whether under windows or not, are better than one large one. Thet will give a more even spead of heat.

The question to ask yourself, is whether the room is comfortable with your current rads. If yes, then why change to 'current advice'?

Make sure that the rads are correctly sized for the room. Oversized isn't really a problem as they can be turned down. Undersized is a problem. Do the maths here

http://www.radcalcs.com/

The BG bloke would never seek to increase the value of a sale! They wouldn't dream of it! ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back