Best material to fill cracks in render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I live in a house that was built in the early 1908s. The bottom half is brick, and the top half is rendered (over breeze blocks or something I assume). We had a survey done when we moved in and it pointed out some cracks in the render, but said they were nothing to worry about as they were just due to expansion and contraction cause by the weather and the fact the house is built on clay soil.

The cracks run from the bottom corner of a window diagonally down. There is no corrisponding cracks inside.

Every year or so when the weather is nice, I clean out the crack, fill it and repaint, and evey year it comes back.

I normally just use Polyfilla exterior filler, but I was wondering if there was something else I should be using? Please bear in mind that I am not massivly competent at DIY so would prefer something simple.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I live in a house that was built in the early 1908s. The bottom half is brick, and the top half is rendered (over breeze blocks or something I assume). We had a survey done when we moved in and it pointed out some cracks in the render, but said they were nothing to worry about as they were just due to expansion and contraction cause by the weather and the fact the house is built on clay soil.

The cracks run from the bottom corner of a window diagonally down. There is no corrisponding cracks inside.

Every year or so when the weather is nice, I clean out the crack, fill it and repaint, and evey year it comes back.

I normally just use Polyfilla exterior filler, but I was wondering if there was something else I should be using? Please bear in mind that I am not massivly competent at DIY so would prefer something simple.

Thanks!
http://uktv.co.uk/home/item/aid/2571/displayVideo/Hi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back