best materials to build stairs on a steep slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys an girls, firstly many thanks for taking the time to read my little predicament, and any input is most welcome,
i have a cellar and currently it has a stair case built out of timber, looks diy standard at best , 2x 10" planks running the slope with same size planks as steps nailed in place, the problem is the cellar is damp , and the timber has started to rot making the steps hazardly.
beneath the steps on the slope is brickwork original to the house construction some 100 year ago, the slope is quite steep (approx 50-60 degree) and headroom is quite limited for a 6 foot bloke.
obviously i need to replace the current setup and was wondering the best construction method to use, concrete would be my logical decision but am curious as to its adhering qualities , basically will it "stick" to the slope , or would it be best to build in block/brick+mortar.
have done a little diy in the past so dont mind laying a few brick or mixing a batch of 3-2-1 concrete up , would like a little advice on best practice by the guys in the know.

many thanks for your time in advance,
best regards southpaw

Sponsored Links
If i understand your post then there should be no difficulty in replacing the flight of steps with a timber flight of traditional construction.
Low headroom is common and is allowable in cellars.
Taking reasonable precautions against damp is simple.

But the thing is, without pics of what you have now it would be difficult to advise you further.

Building masonry steps in cellars is not usually done nowadays.

Sponsored Links
cheers for replies fella`s, tbh soon as i posted the thread it dawned on me to make it out of wood again, dunno why but my lame-ass brain didnt even think of that earlier, lol
many thanks big all , thats me sorted now, bottom step masonary and the rest pressure treated timber,
many thanks for your time in replying lads, its very much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back