Best metal paints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and thank you for looking at this post.

Which is / are the best paint(s) for a currently unpainted galvanised metal frame? It would be a silver / grey finish.

Is Hammerite still the paint to go for?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
There is a little more to painting a galvanised suface than applying a coat of paint, first you should establish whether the frame has been etched, this if done will offer you a shimmering appearance and is well visable with the naked eye. Secondly you will need to apply the correct primer, and in your case a mordant solution would be the way to go, Dulux being about the best you'll get.
As for finish coats look at Rustolem or perhaps Dulux Trade Metalshield, available in both gloss or Satin.

Dec

Forgive me, I did'nt get that quite right, I am rather tired, if the frame has not been etched then you will need to apply a mordant solution, followed by a zinc phosphate primer prior to your finish coats, Dulux Trade stock both products.

My apolgies for any confusion,

Dec

Sponsored Links
Thank you for asking, if you get or come across any difficulty in obtaining the suggested products or indeed the same with application, please feel free to ask again.

Dec

I would still recommend Hammerite, It is a direct to metal paint which comes in a variety of shades, and has a slightly hammered texture when dry. It is sold in the UK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back