Best method of constructing Kitchen unit carcasses?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mate is just getting a Kitchen installed, went around last night + noted that all the wall units are through screw fixed from the side? The installer has then fixed a coloured end panel to hide the through screw fixings? Looks very untidy in my opinion.

I went home + checked my units? They have an underside through fixing (I presume dowelled) which is hidden + looks much neater.

What is the standard UK-wide construction + which is better in the long run?

I've had my Kitchen 25 yrs + never had a problem tbh

Sponsored Links
Sounds like he has the cheap Wickes cup's [off the shelf] they are fairly weak due to that construction method, you gets what you pay for.

Thanks for that foxhole

So this through fixing method is not a good joint long term then?

Am I correct in assuming you would normally have a metal dowel + nut joint?

Sponsored Links
Most use the dowel and metal fixing but cheapies from Wickes and Ikea use the basic screw method. The screw often fails to bite into the chipboard interior and come loose, if I fit those I use an extra couple of chipboard screws or a dab of glue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back