Best method of window cleaning without having to use a ladder

softened and filtered water from an ordinary domestic water softener is not quite as pure, but does a good job of washing and rinsing glass, windows, bathroom mirrors and cars, and does not need leathering off. It does not leave water marks or lime.

So you could do that.

I sometimes use a bucket of warm softened water plus half a drop of WUL per 15 litres, and a very soft handbrush or soft broom to clean and dislodge dirt and grease, then rinse off with a hose and softened water. It is very similar to the method the window cleaners use. I haven't got a pole and can't be bothered to do the outsides of the windows and the frames.

When doing the cars I use car shampoo, and, for crevices that are actually dirty, use a small soft paintbrush first, with 50/50 shampoo and softened water.

Same method also works on plastic or stained or painted house doors.

Sponsored Links
With the softened water, I use this sort of soft brush (it is much softer than a washing-up brush) dipped frequently into the bucket.

113110.jpg.jpg

but a person smaller than me uses an equally soft indoor broom

508879_-_comfigrip_complete_broom_metallic_1.jpg

it must of course be perfectly clean and free of any grease or grit.

and hose off to rinse.

Very similar to the window-cleaners method, but lower tech.

Results are satisfactory.

upload_2021-6-26_20-57-8.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Yes. What do you think are the best steps to get a full non-stain clean? Have you ever used a hosepipe to rinse the soap stains off?

With my method, I don't get soap stains.

Purified and softened water is the key.

With the softened water, I use this sort of soft brush (it is much softer than a washing-up brush) dipped frequently into the bucket.

113110.jpg.jpg

but a person smaller than me uses an equally soft indoor broom

508879_-_comfigrip_complete_broom_metallic_1.jpg

it must of course be perfectly clean and free of any grease or grit.

and hose off to rinse.

Very similar to the window-cleaners method, but lower tech.

Results are satisfactory.

So you wipe the window with a squeegie using soapy water then you wipe the suds-stains off with that brush.

Where do you get your Softened water from?

Thanks.

no squeegie necessary. wash with the brush, rinse with the hose.

I have a whole-house water softener (ion-exchange type, recharged with salt periodically. The water does not contain salt).

no squeegie necessary. wash with the brush, rinse with the hose.

I have a whole-house water softener (ion-exchange type, recharged with salt periodically. The water does not contain salt).

So no soapy-water? I used fairy liquid.

yes, half a drop of Fairy or other WUL per bucket to wash

with softened water, very little soap or detergent is needed.

yes, half a drop of Fairy or other WUL per bucket to wash

with softened water, very little soap or detergent is needed.

WUL, that's washing up liquid for anyone trying to work it out here.

Thing is you can soften water by boiling it,

How Can I Soften Water Without a Water Softener? (aquatell.ca)

I already used boiled water with WUL, it didn't work, teh windows got stained but i didn't hose it down.

What sort of hosepipe do you use? Any?

By the way i need to hose the upstairs windows as i stand on a step ladder so i need power. I dont want to get up a big ladder.

Haven't cleaned my windows in 10 years, they look as clean as my neighbours who has them done once a week.

Boiled water is not the same, but my rinse is also with softened water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back