Best method of window cleaning without having to use a ladder

Not if you use a squeegee afterwards, there is even a technique to using a squeegee so it leaves no marks - look on Youtube.
I do use tap water in my Kärcher which has a squeegee but my reply was to the OP when he asked if he could just use a hosepipe to "eliminate soapy water sud-streaks".

Sponsored Links
Tap water will leave streaks and marks.

What about buying filtered water? Is this suitable? Sentinel X400 Sludge Remover 1L (toolstation.com)
High performance cleaner, specifically designed for cleaning older central heating systems. A non-acid treatment which restores circulation to radiators and pipework. Ruthlessly efficient formula shifts built-up magnetite sludge, eliminating cold spots in radiators and restoring proper heat distribution.

Sponsored Links
I’m thinking this thread may be a wind-up.

What are you on about? This is the first time that i have heard that tap-water causes streaks!! . I have NEVER washed upstairs windows with a telescopic extension other than 2 days ago.

Just watching this HOW TO CLEAN WINDOWS WITHOUT STREAKING - YouTube

He uses half vinegar and half tap-water. 2m19s He sprays it on window then just wipes off with one micro-fibre cloth and then another micro-fibre cloth, removing solution, simple and apparently the best way to do it.

The problem is how do i spray the top floor windows with vinegar/water? I think jet-sprays are only made to attach to house-taps.

Last edited:
Only if you had a water-softener machine, which used the salt to regenerate the ion-exchange resin.

And some considerably more.

If you live in a hard water area, and have one plumbed in for your house, you will never want go be without one again.

There are also small portable models, and small ones used to supply glass-washing machines in bars. Dishwashers have a miniature one inside the base.

And some considerably more.

If you live in a hard water area, and have one plumbed in for your house, you will never want go be without one again.

There are also small portable models, and small ones used to supply glass-washing machines in bars. Dishwashers have a miniature one inside the base.

I think I've found an easier solution all round.

Mix 50% water with 50% vinegar, fill a water -pistol with solution then use a step ladder to get a good squirt of upstairs windows. Use cloth 1 to wipe solution away then second cloth to smooth it/dry it all out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back