best no solder connectors for copper pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Sup9, 14 Mar 2020.

1. Sup9

Sup9

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm looking to install a water softener myself, been watching the installation videos and seems simple enough as DIY job. Just trying to decide whether I want to learn soldering the or not. Is there a reliable connector that does not require soldering? Ideally can be used for central heating too as I plan to change a few radiators too. If definitely a no go I 'll consider the soldering option - will need some more time to prepare and learn though.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Push fit or compression.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. martin hill

martin hill

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    JG Speedfit are good. Had no issues with them myself and you can get superseal inserts for them too. If you can't solder now i'd go for the Speedfit. Plumbers etc make it look so easy and it either me being crap at it or more likely it a skill you perfect over time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Tectight are good, dont use plastic fittings they are terrible to look at, and you dont need any inserts with copper pipe

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Press fit fittings are the most reliable non solder option. You can hire a pressing machine from most good hire centres

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Be honest Andy, if you were DIY would you buy two tectite fittings probably at the same cost as pressfit and hire a machine that you have no experience of using, or just buy the Tectite and push them on ?

• Like Like x 3
  8. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Amalgamating super glue gorilla gaffa putty tape - wonderous stuff ....... :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  9. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    All kidding aside Rab I done a job recently in a whisky distillery and the maintenance lads in there used a self amalgamating tape, they gave me some, so impressed with it, I am a sad git that used to love amalgamating Denso tape but this stuff is something else, not for leaks obviously but very impressive stuff

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Tectite all the way, but he asked for "best", so I think my answer was accurate ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    yup ... some of that stuff, especially the old type denso oiled/putty impregnated tape, the stuff they used to use around the spigot to cast joins on the old toilets was brilliant as far as a non setting but easily waterproof jointing tape was concerned. Still come across it now and again these days on old toilet or basin to cast connections.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. gasbanni

gasbanni

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Best for a diyer not a pro he wouldn't know where to start what fitting to get nor where to hire a pressing machine. ...come on confess bloody ridiculous smart Alec answer and no help whatsoever !!!!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gasbanni

gasbanni

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Use push fit speedfit from screwfix. Do a dry run before you attempt it. www.johnguest.com/speedfit/https://

Forget soldering if youve never done it before and get a pipeslice to cut the pipe https://www.screwfix.com/p/bahco-15mm-automatic-copper-pipe-cutter/1838k

Measure twice cut once.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Sup9

Sup9

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I had a look at the press tools, cordless (18v) is very expensive. I see there are manual ones for under 200, will these be any good? will probably only need 15mm and 22mm tools (or 15mm only as I only have incoming pipe as 22mm then all 15mm after the mains valve).

Is it worth to get one of these press tool so I can do some plumbing work every now and then? or better value just go for the Speedfit/Tectite?

16. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Either of these for me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Sup9

Sup9

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How do you rate the Tectite classic vs Sprint? I see both versions are available from screwfix.

They also sell the inserts but for 10mm only, should I also get the insert for 15/22mm fittings?