Best Oil for Hawthorn Walking Stick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm carving a walking stick from a hawthorn. Which would be the best oil for it. I want the oil to sink in and not stay on the surface - to enhance the wood. I have linseed oil and teak oil, or would danish oil be better? How many times should I oil it?

Thanks

$_57.JPG

Sponsored Links
Found this .
  1. Apply two coats of wood stain, allowing each coat to dry overnight, to give the stick a darker, richer hue. Then apply three coats of clear urethane varnish to seal the wood and prevent rot. Allow each coat of varnish to dry overnight. Sand the stick lightly with very fine sandpaper or steel wool after each coat.

Found this .
  1. Apply two coats of wood stain, allowing each coat to dry overnight, to give the stick a darker, richer hue. Then apply three coats of clear urethane varnish to seal the wood and prevent rot. Allow each coat of varnish to dry overnight. Sand the stick lightly with very fine sandpaper or steel wool after each coat.
Thanks for the advice. I did want to oil rather than varnish. Thanks though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back