Best online site for buying tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously prices vary from time to time but on the whole where do you guys check first when looking to buy replacement tools online?

Until joining the forum id always use google and check screwfix and eBay.

It wasnt until joining this forum that i found FFX.co.uk, which seems to be even more competitively priced. Google never pointed me in their direction before.

Have i missed any other gems??

Sponsored Links
power tools pro
toucan tools
tools 4 trade
ffx
axminster
rutlands
dxm
toolstation
and many more you need to shop around and dont assume all there prices are the same they all have there bargains and horror prices

I have found FFX to be unbeatable each and every time. I still compare prices, but they always come out on top.

Sponsored Links
For woodworking it has to be Axminster.

First stop would be "e bay" some people just don't know the value of what they have, or are just pleased to be rid of it. Next up Lidl, mostly their tools come with a 3 year warrant/guarantee, which just can't be beat in my opinion. Then you have all the rest, some better than others, Screwfix are always worth a look, especially for the better known brands. But another good bargain hunter has got to be Google shopping option on their search engine, some great finds hear...pinenot :)

Are you all familiar with Dieter Schmidt - http://www.fine-tools.com/

Example picked at random....

Veritas No.4 1/2 Smoothing Plane (A2 Blade):

299 Euros + 9.90 E shipping (£203)
Axminster - £300

Veritas Carcass Saw:

59 Euros + 9.90 Shipping (£51)

Axminster - £70

The examples go on....But they do they do not do power tools. I was wondering if anybody knew of a similar supplier which outstrip UK prices in the same way?

FWIW, I would add my recommendation for FFX.

However, I also use several other retailers who can actually be cheaper than FFX - something which usually takes some doing!

I do also sometimes use D&M Tools. They can be a bit dearer but their customer service is superb IMHO.

By way of example, one of my older pieces of kit is a Makita 6281 drill/driver.

It's getting a bit older now but still superb for when I need it for 'smaller' jobs. Would happily buy another if the price was right especially as I think Makita are probably getting rid of this model because I have seen the whole kit (drill/driver, charger, 2 batteries and case) at low prices on several sites recently.

I checked all my usual sites and also did an internet search.

Checked FFX and they list it for £118

Yet DM Tools list it for only £69.95!!

The moral of this story is always to check across ALL your favourite retailers PLUS do an internet search for whatever you are looking for. Even if one retailer is 'usually' cheapest, they aren't 'always'.

I am sure all of us have our favourite retailers but it does really pay to do your research as it can end up saving you decent amounts of cash.

Just my tuppence worth.

B

ITS london are really good too. Got my last couple of drills from them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back