Best option for Gas Hob Ignition Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
She who must be obeyed has just changed her mind from Induction to a Gas hob (apparently she's not going to change it back again!!).

Think I've got 2 options :

1) Spur to a switched FCU from the cooker control. (What size cable would I need from cooker control to FCU [circuit is 10mm cable / 40A MCB])?

2) Ive got a switched FCU that's spurred off ring main for the cooker hood so can i supply another cable outlet for the hob from this?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
What ever you do first OK it with your LABC as required by Part P as some officers have some odd ideas as to what is allowed.

BS7671:2008 says at the reduction in size or at most within 3 meters of cable capacity you should install an overload device (fuse). So you may use smaller cable from the cooker switch to FCU if less than 3 meters.

But the cooker hood supply would seem to be better option. Once it goes through a FCU you can add as many sockets as you like as total can't exceed 13A.

Do remember all new cable buried in walls at less than 50mm needs to be special cable like Ali-tube or RCD protected and all sockets under 20A unless marked for special use also need RCD protection.

Also no diagonal cables are allowed. You need to get it spot on for LABC and their inspection as you don't want to do it twice.

BS7671:2008 says at the reduction in size or at most within 3 meters of cable capacity you should install an overload device (fuse). So you may use smaller cable from the cooker switch to FCU if less than 3 meters.

Eric, read 433.2.2 and if the installation complies with (i), which it should do, you'll find that the 3M distance isn't applicable.

Protection against overload could be anywhere within the conductor, even after the change of CSA providing it's before and branches (if any exist).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back