Best option going forward. Install cert.

Excuse my silly question, but I’ve rewired my entire house, garage and shed over the 28 years that I have been living here. Last bit if wiring was the kitchen in 2001. Haven’t had any problems but I suppose I always could but what is all this about certificates and, for instance, how would that affect me if I was going to sell my house in say, 5 years time? For all anyone knows, the wiring could be the same as what was here when I moved in in 1990.
No-one, and no future buyer will be concerned, per se, about electrical work done prior to 2005, which is when electrical work came withing the scope of the Building Regulations ("Part P"). The standard conveyancing forms ask if any electrical work has been undertaken prior toafter January 2005 and, if so, asks for relevant certificates/documentation etc. If a potential buyers is concerned about any aspects of the electrical installation, it is for them to have it inspected.
So when did this building control approval come in - I had a builder remove a supporting wall and fit an RSJ in 2001 when the kitchen was made into a kitchen/diner. He didn't notify anyone as far as I know and it hasn't fallen down. Yet!
Although many local authorities had their own by-laws/regulations (and associated 'control') earlier (and Mr Google suggests that Building Regulations and control have existed for several hundred years, particularly in London), I think that the first national Building Regulations (and associated control) came into force in England and Wales around 1966.

Kind Regards, John
Very slightly slow typing again!
Edit: crucial typo corrected (maybe because I was trying NOT to type too slowly :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The standard conveyancing forms ask if any electrical work has been undertaken prior to January 2005 and, if so, asks for relevant certificates/documentation etc.
Actually, AFAICT, the "official" form (there may be other customised versions with different wording) only asks:

upload_2018-6-14_11-38-23.png

Implicit in that, I guess, is the expectation that the person filling in the form knows, or is being advised by someone who knows, that there is a specific definition of "building work" in the Building Regulations.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Form TA6 said:
As for what a "BS7671 Electrical Safety Certificate" might be, you'd have to ask the person who designed the form!

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-14_11-54-2.png
    upload_2018-6-14_11-54-2.png
    171.6 KB · Views: 282
Behind what?

A legal requirement for electrical work to be done reasonably safely?

I think you mis-read my post. When i said whats the idea behind this i was referring to specifit type of cable clipping under floors. I did it off my own back because i didnt want wires dropping down when i took the living room ceiling down. I did not know it was actually a requirement.

The extract from a TA6 I posted was from a licensed conveyancing company ("Conveyancing Direct Ltd"), but it's typical of most I have seen, particularly in relation to the section about electrical work.

In my experience (and I see quite a few of them), it's amazing how many people tick the "Not known" answer to the electrical work question! ... in some cases it probably means that no electrical work has been undertaken during their occupancy, but that that occupancy started after 1/1/2005, but I very much doubt that's always what it means.

I think you mis-read my post. When i said whats the idea behind this i was referring to specifit type of cable clipping under floors.
Ah - I thought you meant the whole regime.

I only very quickly skimmed Eric's post because I've seen it several times before, so I didn't know you were referring to this:

I know I have used rods to thread cables under floor boards, however also know the cables should be clipped.
They don't need clipping, per se, just supporting, and prevented from putting a strain on joints/terminations. Resting on plasterboard is fine.

Well hopefully i have someone to help me out so this gets resolved. Hes due to come down next week but he knows the score.

One thing is for certain i wont go this route again! Leasson learnt!

I would hope a lot more of a decent electrician, and personally would not consider employing one whose pre-CU-change I&T was restricted to "ensuring that ADS will operate as intended".

Kind Regards, John
You appear to be missing the point.

That is all they are certifying in terms of the existing installation. They are only certifying the replacement of the DB, and as such are verifying that ADS as the protective measure will operate given the new devices etc. In no way are they (or can they) stating that the existing installation is all hunky dory. Given that the existing installation almost certainly has numerous non-compliances with the Wiring Regulations how could they without substantial remedial works each time? And that excludes all the bits which they can't see - i.e. the majority of the wiring.

Apart from any immediately dangerous condition observed in the wiring they will be reconnecting what is there. What they notice might be included in the "Comments on the Existing Installation" but is excluded from the scope of the Schedule of Inspections as this only relates to the work carried out. The existing installation is not the electrical installation work carried out.

Many tests might not be relevant to this work. For example Zs testing might be undertaken as the installation was already energised without recourse to dead continuity testing (except perhaps a quick end-to-end test of ring final circuits or to Class I luminaires). Insulation testing between live conductors would be a non-starter also.

I have often thought and sometimes said that I have never been sure about this apparently required I&T before changing a CU.

Not least because of the disconnection and reconnection of circuits which have worked satisfactorily for years when it may then be decided that for some reason a new CU cannot be fitted.

I have never understood how you manage to persuade Mrs.Customer to pay for a virtual EIC when it is then decided by the electrician that he cannot do the change or it took twice as long as it should have.

You appear to be missing the point. ... That is all they are certifying in terms of the existing installation. They are only certifying the replacement of the DB, and as such are verifying that ADS as the protective measure will operate given the new devices etc. ...
I don't think I'm missing anything, but maybe you read too much into secure's comment which you responded to.

I (and I imagine also secure) are not talking about 'certifying' - he said that I&T would/should be undertaken prior to a CU change and I personally think that should involve more than confirming that ADS will work with the new "devices".

Kind Regards, John

I have often thought and sometimes said that I have never been sure about this apparently required I&T before changing a CU. .... Not least because of the disconnection and reconnection of circuits which have worked satisfactorily for years when it may then be decided that for some reason a new CU cannot be fitted. .... I have never understood how you manage to persuade Mrs.Customer to pay for a virtual EIC when it is then decided by the electrician that he cannot do the change or it took twice as long as it should have.
I take your point, but what is the alternative?

How will you and Mrs Customer react if you go ahead and change the CU, and then discover any/all of .... that there are shared neutrals on the lighting circuits, unsatisfactory Zs on some circuits (or even an unsatisfactory earth), absent main bonding, metal light switches on circuits with no CPCs, maybe even crumbling VIR cables with unsatisfactory IR etc. etc. ??

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back