best outdoor camera for gutter surveillance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a single outdoor camera (daytime only) to cover a parapet gutter exit point as ours blocked up and flooded the loft! It needs to be fitted and forgotten so a good make. Would be bolted/ screwed to the brickwork and open to the elements. I would also need it to transmit pics to my phone as and when I access it to check gutter not blocked. Unsure whether I need one hard wired or wireless but am looking for something longlasting and not going wrong!

Can anyone recommend something?

Sponsored Links
thing is by the time a switch is activated its too late as thats because the outlet is blocked. When it hammers down like the other week its so much water and our outlet carries water from 3 roofs so will fill up in seconds. I definitely would find something I could check that the outlet is clear without using a ladder would be useful. So hard wired the way to go and keep the transmitting thing dry in the house?

That's what I'd do
It's a hostile environment so a waterproof camera that is powered from the dry of a loft would be my choice, and a transmitter also in the loft or cable to a monitor

Sponsored Links
thing is by the time a switch is activated its too late as thats because the outlet is blocked. When it hammers down like the other week its so much water and our outlet carries water from 3 roofs so will fill up in seconds. I definitely would find something I could check that the outlet is clear without using a ladder would be useful. So hard wired the way to go and keep the transmitting thing dry in the house?
I understand what you are trying to achieve but don’t see how a camera is going to help.

Every time you get heavy rain, you’ll be watching the monitor (probably better than watching some of the dross on broadcast Television) assuming you are at home at the time or you have a system that can be viewed remotely, then what, out with the ladders in the wind and rain.

I’d get a professional roofer to come and have a look to see if a larger outlet, guard or further down pipes can be installed, putting a camera or float alarm up there isn’t addressing the problem and it will probably happen again If you are away or on holiday when it happens.

A camera is not the answer, it's like putting a bucket under a drip. You need to solve the problem, not react each time it occurs.
As @foxhole says, have the gutters cleaned out along the full length, (get the neighbours to contribute if it takes their roof water away as well), and fit a mesh cover over the gutters to prevent leaves/moss etc from building up and blocking them. If the gutters are undersized for the area they have to clear, then clearly you will need to up-size, (is there such a word? :unsure: ), to a size that can cope with such an area. It may also mean increasing the size of any downspouts and hoppers.
In the long run it will be much cheaper than having to do repairs to your loft each time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back