Best paint and best painting process for new plasterboard bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The ceiling is brand new vapour shield boards skimmed over with Thistle Multi-Finish.

The ceiling was newly plastered about 6 months ago, so it'll be well dried out by now.

I've sanded it and filled in a couple of trowel marks with Thistle Easi-Fill. I've also brushed it to remove any dust.

There is a bath and shower cubical in the bathroom, but there will be a ceiling extractor fan installed directly over the shower cubicle.

The old bathroom had no extractor fan and had no issues with condensation, dampness or flaking paint. So I can’t see there being any issues like this, especially with the addition of a ceiling extractor fan.

I intend on using some kind of eggshell paint or dedicated bathroom paint.

I’ve been reading lots of posts on here and I'm a bit confused.

I know the first job is to mist coat the ceiling.

Q1. How many mist coats should I do?

Q2. Would it be better to mist coat just using watered down matt emulsion or using watered down eggshell paint or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Easy.

Two coats of 50/50 matt paint; Leave max 6hrs between coats, giving you a good key when the second mist coat rolls on.

Watered down eggshell? Hummm, you are looking for a finish that gives you a key for your bathroom paint; gloss like paint is less likely to give a key. All contractors use matt paint watered down.

Just to add, you can make the mist coat thicker @ 70/30 no harm, it'll just take longer to dry.

No harm in trying it all out in one little corner and seeing what results you get, right?

It tells you on the back of the tin of bathroom paint what to do - and it isn't using matt emulsion.

Sponsored Links
Not used it but I very much doubt you'd get a problem if you follow the instructions on the can.

Thanks for the replies.

Have any of you used this paint on a bathroom ceiling like ours?

Is it any good? If not, what would you recommend?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Painting+&+Decorating/d150/Emulsion+&+Gloss+Paint/sd3173/Leyland+Trade+Acrylic+Eggshell+Paint/p17428

I'd recommend reading through the 20+ reviews on Screwfix to get an idea of the quality Leyland offer.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-acrylic-eggshell-emulsion-paint-brilliant-white-2-5ltr/45956

sorry to hijack this post - can I just ask why you should wait 6 hours MAX between mist coat application?? is there a reason behind it? I only ask because I'm about to give 2 coats of mist on my newly plastered wall but I only have the evenings to do it so I do one coat one evening and then one coat the following evening, then top coat the following evening is this wrong??

sorry to hijack this post - can I just ask why you should wait 6 hours MAX between mist coat application?? is there a reason behind it? I only ask because I'm about to give 2 coats of mist on my newly plastered wall but I only have the evenings to do it so I do one coat one evening and then one coat the following evening, then top coat the following evening is this wrong??

Emphasis is more so on the word "max", than "6" to be clearer;

It comes down to how much water to paint ratio you use in the mist coat; the more water will only speed up drying time, but give you a thinner coverage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back