Best paint brush for gloss paint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
Just had a browse here looking for a good paint brush for internal gloss,skirting boards,door frames.etc.

There seems to be new manufacturers of brushes around these days so I am confused ,any recommendations.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If we are talking about oil based gloss...

I am a fan of the better quality synthetic brushes. Particularly the Purdy Sprig Elite and Wooster Pro Ultra.

In the olden days one would use hog's hair brushes that needed to be "broken in".

If you are going to spend £15 on a 2/2.5 inch brush, I would also recommend that you buy a Brushmate box (about £18). It uses vapour on a pad to prevent the brush from drying out. At the end of each day, you lift the lid and push the brush into one of the clips. The next day, or weeks later, you take the brush out and carry on working.

I have brushes that have not seen brush cleaner for years and they are as good as new. I save money on both brush cleaner and time spent cleaning them.

(IMO) The best brushes (that I would want to use in my course of work) are made by American firms, sad but true.

I would also recommend the same brushes for water based gloss. Hog's hair brushes are not suitable for water based paints as they swell. However, the two brushes aren't particular good at cutting in emulsion as they don't hold enough paint.

I hope that helps, if not just say so.

Regards.

Thanks for the reply,got a set of purdy sprig elite brushes.

Very happy with them,nice finish and no bristle picking.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back