Best paint for black metal staircase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Staircase treads are showing rust spots and customer wants a matt or satin finish, not high gloss. I'm thinking of using Hammerite satin.

Can anyone think of a reason not to, or suggest a better product?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hammerite is horrible to use, clogs brushes and dries too quickly on larger flat surfaces to keep a wet edge. The best results I got with a metal winding iron staircase was with Blackfriar's Anti-rust Primer and their Satin Black Paint (they also do/did a matt version but I don't know if either are still available). It really looked the business when finished and still looked very good several years later. That said, it was indoors so if yours is outside then I couldn't say how it would fair against the elements - I'm not sure if the satin would be ok but I know the matt is/was indoor only.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, the matt wasn't an option as it is apparently not durable enough to be walked upon, but the satin is, and it looks good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back