Best paint for quick paint job .. walls / ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house which i rented out, the tenancy for which ends tomorrow.

Obviously, I'll have to paint the entire house.

Regarding walls and ceilings, normally when painting I've just used Wilko paint, it's quite good value and there's a Wilko near to where I live. If I needed an extra coat, no big deal and usually I am just painting a single room

Now however, I have to paint the whole house, so maybe it would be better to go for a better brand, perhaps meaning only a single coat. Does one-coat paint really work and which brands are good.

Boringly, the walls were all magnolia silk and the ceilings mat white.

Is this still OK, or would a light grey maybe be better for the walls, or even white

Oh, one final question .. currently the architraves and skirtings are stained, then varnished .. maybe better for these to be white now ... what do you think ?
The doors are oak and were varnished .. I'll leave these like this .. just re-varnish

If so, which primer would be required.

A final, final question ... is white oil-based gloss still good to use (banister and a few places too) or is water-based the way-to-go now

Sponsored Links
white leyland matt on cieling touch up dark marks when dry coat over cielings. same with walls in your colour choice.(grey) hesian is nice.
woodwork zinser bin then your finish, can use water or oil, oil less brush marks. (i would give bin then two coats of dulux trade water satinwood thow one might do it)

white leyland matt on cieling touch up dark marks when dry coat over cielings. same with walls in your colour choice.(grey) hesian is nice.
woodwork zinser bin then your finish, can use water or oil, oil less brush marks. (i would give bin then two coats of dulux trade water satinwood thow one might do it)

Thank you for your reply

I've decided just to paint the walls again using the same type and colour as before .. silk magnolia.

I think I used the cheap Wilko paint the last time I painted the house (9 years ago)

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-interior-magnolia-silk-emulsion-paint-5l/p/0104344 £10 for 5 litres
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-walls-ceilings-magnolia-silk-emulsion-paint-5l/p/2426443 £20 for 5 litres

but I have heard good comments regarding the Leyland paint, available at Screwfix for £18 (10 litres) but this looks too cheap . I'll probably end up painting two coats on the walls, which I don't mind, but I don't want to end up doing three coats if the paint is too thin .. link below

https://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-silk-emulsion-magnolia-10ltr/79281

The Leyland silk will be fine! I've used it many times. You'll probably only need one coat too. The Matt is usually two for £26, not sure if there's an offer for the silk.
The Leyland white Matt for ceilings I find brilliant. It looks dull when you first put it on but as it dries it gets lovely and white. Wzy better than the 'normal' dulux white Matt.

Sponsored Links
so what did you do in the end?
did you at least try leyland to see if it was better then wilco, ie opacity, coverage, price, less time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back