Best paint for radiators, internal doors, and desks

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to paint a radiator, some internal doors, and my son's desk. The paint I used before for internal doors and the desk was very "sticky", in that it took forever to dry / cure, and the door never stopped sticking! I also used the same on the radiator, which didn't cause problems, but as I am about to paint all 3 again, wondering what is best for each?

The desk is mdf that has already had a couple of coats of white paint, but it is getting worn now.

Door frames and doors are all old solid wood from 1930s

Radiator is classic old metal, currently painted white - have considered alternative colours though as whole room (hallway) is white.

Sponsored Links
I find satinwood most satisfactory on radiators. any bare or rusty patches need to be rubbed down and treated with a corrosion-resistant metal primer.

Water-based paints on bare steel will cause rust stains.

you can get the best finish on a radiator if you take it off the wall and paint it in the garden. It is easier to thoroughly clean and prepare and, laid flat, no runs. Do the back and edges before the face.

You don't say what sort of paint you previously had trouble with, nor what the previous treatment was, or how you cleaned and prepared the surface. For example, kitchen surfaces often have a film of hardened greasy dirt.

tbh I cannot really remember. The problem I had was when painting new wood, that was primed, with the paint I also used for the skirting boards. Cannot remember what it was now though. After a year the door still sounded sticky when opening.

Radiator is off already, in the shed. Need to get it back before it gets much colder! It has a little rust so will treat. Will get satinwood for that.

TIP: When paint has started to dry, apply some washing up liquid to the door edges - stops the sticking.

Sponsored Links
you can also use the lightest smear of vaseline on the meeting surfaces, once the paint is dry. Not gobbets, just enough to make it shiny.

thanks for the expert tips!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back