Painting metal front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im painting my property internally.One place Im a little unsure of is my front door.I believe looking at it that it has been painted in the past and also if I paint my hall and leave the door I'll end up with white skirtings and a cream door.:)
The front door is completely metal and also features panels.How do I best go about painting the internal side of this door?The existing surface looks good its just the off white colour I want to change.
What I intend to do is san down and areas that may need it, wash the door allow it to dry.Add masking tape around the handles and letter box etc and then start painting.Should I be using a certain paint for metal rather than the satin paint I have for my skirting and internal doors.Should i just use a roller?What Im concerned about is that the door may have brush strokes afterwards.
Im unabe t remove the door from its frame,due to landlord issues..

Sponsored Links
Hi Hyposmurf,

There are three ways to paint a metal door:

(1) Using a roller. By using a short nap roller cover, and the right size of roller it is possible to get a very smooth finish by rolling.

(2) Using a paint sprayer. Spraying gives a finish that is truly smooth.This is a little more expensive and it requires a bit of know-how to use effectively.

(s)Using a brush. The third way is the least expensive, but the least effective. The reason for that is because each brush mark shows up quickly on the door’s smooth surface. If you prefer this method, you are advised to use a professional quality paintbrush.

Hope this is helpful.

Chris du Toit

Thanks for the reply.I favour the roller method and then paint the other in accesible parts by a brush carefully.
Whne you say short nap aere your refering to the thickness of material on the roller?

Also which paint is best?

If its inside and has panels in it, then a brush will be better. Use the satinwood no problem. A spray indoors for such a small area will be no good. Give the door a gentle sand down with some wet n dry with water and dry off prior to painting. No undercoat is needed with Satinwood.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Steel doors are some of the most durable pieces a home can have.
Painting and maintaining them can be a little more tricky than traditional wooden doors, although the process is just as satisfying.

With a few tips and careful paint selections, homeowners can have their steel door painted in no time.
Durability and low cost when compared to wood doors, steel house doors are becoming increasingly common both in newer homes and as replacements for worn wood doors in older homes.

In painting the steel doors you can use brush,Spray,or a roller....
hope it can help you!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back