Best Plinth/Tile gap filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted a new kitchen on top of old terracotta tiled floor kitchen. Of course the tiles are uneven and there are quite large gaps between the bottom of the wooden plinth fitted to kitchen base units and the tiles themselves. Is there a good product to use to fill that gap? Decorators caulk doesn't seem robust enough as its a kitchen floor and therefore may be wet and mopped etc. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. I don't think the foam would be suitable when it comes to mopping up the floor. The seal looks good and I might have gone with that, but of course the plinths are all fitted puttied and caulked in and painted now. Additionally the tile edges and grouting are so uneven I'm not sure if that product would seal it.

I'm thinking of something like decorators caulk, but more robust. Do people sometimes fill that gap with wood putty or something like plaster?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
The only way I could see to do this properly, would be to scribe the plinth to the floor. To be quite honest, the floor should have been levelled before the kitchen was installed. I don't know what sort of maximum gap your looking at, but as the floor will be mopped occasionally, perhaps some sort of silicone sealant would be best ?
If the gaps are very big, then I would suggest scribing the plinth to the floor then running a bead of silicone sealant along afterwards.

Have slate floor and gaps under plinth but never had reason to fill them. :?:

This is what I used in a similar situation: http://www.uksealants.co.uk/product.asp?idproduct=169 (my plinth is white - clear may be more suitable for you)

The best way to do it is run a length of masking tape along the floor as this will follow the contours of the uneven tiles. You could also run a length on the bottom of the plinth. This will allow you to get plenty of sealant right into the gap without any mess. Smooth over and remove the excess and tape immediately then smooth lightly again with a wet finger.

I know that using tape is regarded as an amateur measure, but in this instance it will leave you with a watertight seal that looks as if the plinth has been scribed to perfection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back