Howdens Plinths Plastic Seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;
Just finishing off the final bits of my kitchen and I am at the mo doing skirting boards and plinths.

I have a Tewksbury Oak Kitchen from Howdens and the plinths come with a removable plastic strip.
Where does this strip go top or bottom.
What's it for an do I need it.

I'm guessing it goes on the bottom and its for waterproofing the underside of the plinth. I think if i fit it it will look well chad as such what do you recommend i use to seal the base of the plinth before I fit it. Or should I just run some sealant around the edges, this is going to be on the floor so I need something that will not show the dirt.
I'm thinking even translucent unibond which I have will show the dirt?
I believe there are wood coloured alternatives?

I have installed ceramic tiles on the floor so I need something that will fill the gaps.

Ta

Sponsored Links
I have this too, goes at the bottom of plinth to help stop water ingress I think. It looks fine for me and so it stays!

I have this too, goes at the bottom of plinth to help stop water ingress I think. It looks fine for me and so it stays!
OK looks like I'll fit it then, presumably the lip goes to the front of the cabinet.
Do you need to glue this strip on?
I'll probably seal the bottom of the plinth with PVA glue anyway to help with any water ingress from moping etc, not that I'm going to flood the kitchen its just that water has a habit of seeping into where its not wanted.

Sponsored Links
I've got this stuff and it looks fine. No need to glue. If you cut the height of the plinth accurately it can't go anywhere. feather edge goes to the front. Mitre it on external corners to make it pretty.

Even if you don't flood the place it's an excellent defence against enthusiastic mopping, not to mention keeping vermin-food from under the units.

Sealing the edge isn't essential, unless you're anticipating serious inundation. I've found Hammerite very good for sealing cut chipboard edges in the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back