Kitchen Plinths/Uneven floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are in the process of updating our kitchen with new doorfronts and plinths.

We have had a new floor laid (lino) today and when we go to put the plinth on there is a slight gap where the floor is bit uneven.

Can anyone recommend the best thing to do?

Am I ok to just use some sealant or is there something else I can use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
OP

If you are using standard width plinth then pop down to B&Q and they sell a clear sealing strip (kinda like a car wiperblade) that will seal the plinth to the floor and take up a small gap.

OP

If you are using standard width plinth then pop down to B&Q and they sell a clear sealing strip (kinda like a car wiperblade) that will seal the plinth to the floor and take up a small gap.

Will that help cover a smallish gap even if the floor is uneven though???

I scribed the bottom of the plinth to the floor. OK, it left a small gap between the bottom of the base unit and plinth, but you don't see it unless you get down on your hands and knees and look for it.

Sponsored Links
The sealing strip I mentioned is basically a 'U' channel that fits over the edge of the plinth and seals the plinth edge etc, it also has a small soft rubber lip that sticks out the front and should accomadate 1 - 2mm of gap while still sealing.

On my kitchen I had taller plinth boards then the gap (about 1/2" taller) so I cold lay the board in front of the cabs, then I used a 1/4" piece of wood to scribe a line along the bottom of the plinth and cut to the scribe line, added the plastic strip and then plane'd down the top of the plinth to the finished height making a perfect fit.

really depends on the size of the gap and the colour of the floor/plinth and whether you want the sealing to be aethetic or just functional, the best way would be to scribe the plinth to the floor and then seal with clear silicone however if the gap is very small it could just be sealed with a suitable colour sealant. as a previous poster said a small gap at the top of the plinth is usually not visible unless it can be viewed from quite a way away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back