Best practice construction from studs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im moving the shower in the ensuite and have the room completely stripped back to studs so I can insulate the room and rebuild it.

I'm confused about best practice.

It's a simple shower cubicle on a 1200 x 800 Mira flight tray.

I've done a few shower over baths in the past but I've only used moisture proof plaster board then a decent adhesive and large tile so less grout and better water resistance. I've never had any problems and had access under bath panels and floirs etc to check and prove it over long periods 8 to 10 years.

So why now all this talk of tanking etc.

I've looked at hardie backer but don't fancy putting that straight onto the studs. Should I plywood sheet first for structural strength and ease of fitting accessories to the finished job?

Is hardie backer really better than the correct plasterboard? The sheet sizes mean more joints!

Tanking with mats and corner pieces and hole pieces etc is this not a ploy for us to spend a heap?

Is a paint on tanking ok or is the matting better?

Won't any gloss paint or roof seal etc improve the water resistance of the correct grade plasterboard?

I understand wet rooms are a new phenomenon and get the fuss there but for tiling in a shower cubicle or round a bath is the old school way really doomed to problems?

What should I do in my simple shower cubicle?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Why not research these issues on here and in the building forum?

Sponsored Links
it would cost you less than £50 to buy a tanking kit for a standard shower, use normal plasterboard if you wish, the Tanking Kit we sell is an advanced sealing system based on co-polymer technology. it is designed to produce a barrier to moisture that is flexible enough to accommodate slight movement and vibration which maybe expected under normal conditions of use in and around well constructed and structurally stable floors, walls and shower cubicles. The system seals, stabillises and prepares substrates ready for the installation of ceramic, porcelain and natural stone tiles. The Tanking Kit comprises of a 5kg pre-mixed and easy to use waterproofing paste that is reinforced with 10 metre roll of fleece tape, 2 preformed corner tapes, 1ltr Primeplus & pair of latex gloves. Each kit covers approx 6.2m2 when applying 2 coats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back