Small tilebacker sheets means more joins!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been researching the best backer board for a shower cubicle and bathroom walls on here and the wider interweb.

The easiest options for me from my supier being remote is moisture resistant plaster board or fancy moisture resistant tile backer board Glasroc H or Hardie backer board.

First two are available in usual sheet sizes 2400 x 1200

The Hardie backer is 1200 x 800

Why is Hardie and a lot of other tile backers in small sheets?

Is there not an obvious benefit in doing a shower cubicle wall in a single piece rather than making up joints in smaller pieces?

If using MR plasterboard on a long wall like next to a bath what's best practice for the joint. Square edged butted tight or lose? Or tapered edge? Ok to fill gap or taper with tile adhesive?

I've read on here plaster skimming is a no no and reduces tile weight capacity.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
we used to sell a delta board in 2400x600x12.5mm however, this was only sold in our trade counter as shipping of this board would reuqire 2 pallets (ie too expensive)

the 12.5mm delta board is now available in 900x1200 so it easier to transport.

Off the top of my head a basic building principle is: The smaller the pieces, the more flexible it is and therefore the less likely you are to get cracks.
Considering millions of showers are tiled right onto plasterboard and have 'minimal' leakage problems, you're already a billion times better just by having hardiebacker with one or two joins.

Sponsored Links
It's an interesting one this. I have ripped out several bathrooms that have been tiled on plasterboard that has failed and have for about the past 10 years have always used backer board.
However I have just ripped out my own bathroom which I tiled onto plasterboard about 20 years ago (before I knew better and when backe rboard wasn't really common place), using a full bed of decent powdered adhesive. Whilst there was a small amount of staining to the board in the bottom corner of the shower, the whole thing was still structurally sound and hadn't broken down at all.
Got me wondering as to whether failures are more down to process rather than materials.

Probably because most builders seem to think skimming plasterboard makes it as strong as backer board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back