Best practice for insulating wooden suspended floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Fed up of a cold lower floor but like my bare boards...

Looking to put insulation under the floor boards. One room I can get underneath (just). The others I can probably lift most if not all the boards. I have about a 400mm void underneath with soil floor, it seems quite damp in places, yes there are lots of vents and they are all clear.

Views on suspending and types of insulation would be appreciated.. ie; chicken wire, breathable membrane, battens with bats, celotex, rockwool etc.

I'm thinking of trying rockwool with membrane either under the joists or battens with rockwool.

I'm worried about the rot risk...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I used rockwool Rj 45 or somthing from under that fun crawl space. I was able to bend it to go down a small hole in the floor but it was ridged enough to friction fit between the joists a strip of wire every 1m was enough to make sure it did not drop - wire was held with staple gun.
But the best way if you can get from above is kingspan - or celotex. You do not need to sit it on battens - just nails spaced out.

Ordinary loft insulation will cost 90% less than Celotex and doesn't have to be cut precisely to fit

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back