Insulating a suspended floor (again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon

Apologies, I know this has been asked so many times but can't find the specific scenario.

1920s detached house, suspended timber ground floor. Joists are roughly 120mm deep. I want to insulate between them.

Government's best practice guide refers to cold bridging on 4 inch joists, no problem on 6 inch, but nothing in between.

Asked the question of one of the main manufacturers who've insisted I need 180mm to meet building regs, despite me stating it doesn't need to meet building regs.

If I dump 100mm of rockwool between the joists, breathable membrane below and plastic sheet on top, will I be alright - any potential issues?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
so Vapour barrier, packed insulation and sheeting? Where do the floor space vents come in? If you are going this route it needs to be completely air tight as the insulated area wont cold vent. Personally I would go with celotex cut between the joists and foamed to seal. You can use a row of nails on the joists to allow the celotex to sit while the foam cures. 75-100mm will make a big difference. Make sure any central heating pipes are also properly insulated if in the void.

Speaking from experience, don't expect much benefit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back