Are these joists too shallow for suspended floor insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I live in an 1880s victorian house with a suspended timber floor. The distance from the ground to the bottom of the joist is 20cm, the joists are 9cm deep, and the gap between joists is 32cm.

The plan was to put down a permeable membrane and suspend Rockwool insulation between the joists. We would then lay underfloor heating on aluminum spreader plates, and then finally lay the original floorboards back on top. However, looking at the regulations the joists need to be at least 15cm deep to avoid acting as a cold bridge. So now I'm not sure what to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks!
Auric

Edit: Attaching the relevant guidelines:
Generally, the following provides an indication of the floor configurations that may be more at risk from cold bridging:
• 8-inch joist (200mm) the U-value will not exceed 0.7 and is therefore highly unlikely to be an issue.
• 6-inch joist (150mm) is also unlikely to create an issue (other than in extreme situations where original hardwood joists and floorboards remain).
• 4-inch joist the U-value is likely to exceed 0.7W/m2k, and therefore Building Regulations will not be satisfied.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If its something you are doing off your own back i.e. not linked to any planning/building submissions there isn't a need to comply with any regs

If its something you are doing off your own back i.e. not linked to any planning/building submissions there isn't a need to comply with any regs
Thanks Bouy, I'm more concerned about condensation forming and potentially rotting the joists. If the joists will act as cold bridge then this could happen?

Sponsored Links
You need to fix strips of celotex under the joists - if you make them a bit wider they'll help to carry the rockwool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back