Best Protection for Hardwood Door Frame & Door -HELP PLE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We are just about to have a new door fitted (we live in Scotland) and would like some tips on what stain/protection to use on it. Both frame and door will be hardwood, but we'd like it to remain oak-ish in colour. It's a country cottage type door. I'm not keen on getting varnish so any help would be appreciated. I've had a wee look through other forums on here, and see that a couple of you have recommended either Sadolin or Sikkens. If these are the ones to go for, which is best, and which type of product from the range should we opt for? What are your thoughts on Sikkens HLS Plus?

PS - The door on show in the salesroom has been treated with a clear varnish. Although I don't want to opt for varnish, the colour is perfect. Therefore, I guess I'm not looking for stain so much, more the correct application to use.

Many help for all your help in advance.

Sally
:) :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Not clear if your door and frame will be oak? either brand are known for quality products.

Not clear if your door and frame will be oak? either brand are known for quality products.

We have the choice to go for the door in either oak or hardwood. Some suggest that if we opt for oak , it will silver with the rain and I'm not keen on that. Therefore I'm opting for the hardwood door.

On looking at Sikkens website, it suggests that the HLS Plus should not be used alone as a finish for hardwood timbers, yet there are people reviewing this product saying that's exactly what they've done! Thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back