best render for my old flaking external walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we just bought this old 1920s cottage style bungalow and the paint work is literally an abortion right now, it's flaking off in its droves and exposing brickwork underneath, we need to weatherproof this as soon as possible but are wondering what the best render is to use and wondering if there's anything to improve insulation at not too much expense? Our walls are bi-layer 3inch concrete block with a 3inch cavity but we don't want to fill this cavity as believe it is helping decrease penetrating damp. So we were wondering what the best render is to put on the outside, any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/network/getroundtuit/albums/
Firstly I'm not a plaster and what you see in my pictures is the first work I've ever done. When working in the construction a Proffesional Plasterer friend advised me to use Knauff MP75, mixed by hand or otherwise for everything. Its very easy to work with and from my experience what he said he was right and would recomend it. I used betokontakt first.

Firstly I'm not a plaster and what you see in my pictures is the first work I've ever done. When working in the construction a Proffesional Plasterer friend advised me to use Knauff MP75, mixed by hand or otherwise for everything. Its very easy to work with and from my experience what he said he was right and would recomend it. I used betokontakt first.
:eek: im afraid you have made a big mistake here, mp 75 is a lightweight gypsum plaster for indoor plastering :(
http://www.knaufdrywall.co.uk/news/page_165.html

:eek: im afraid you have made a big mistake here mp 75 is a lightweight gypsum plaster for indoor plastering :(
http://www.knaufdrywall.co.uk/news/page_165.html[/QUOTE]
No mistake! they use it inside and outside here in Holland, where did you get that it was for inside? There are two types of MP75 white bag is lightweight and the Brown bags ordinary, I used the Brown and it's in it's second year already on the wall and still looks good after a winter down as low as -25. And it did'nt cost much either ;)
http://www.knauf.de/pdf/bilder/katalog/33769/prospekte/pufa68_2009-07.pdf

Sponsored Links
:eek: im afraid you have made a big mistake here mp 75 is a lightweight gypsum plaster for indoor plastering :(
http://www.knaufdrywall.co.uk/news/page_165.html[/QUOTE]
No mistake! they use it inside and outside here in Holland, where did you get that it was for inside? There are two types of MP75 white bag is lightweight and the Brown bags ordinary, I used the Brown and it's in it's second year already on the wall and still looks good after a winter down as low as -25. And it did'nt cost much either ;)
http://www.knauf.de/pdf/bilder/katalog/33769/prospekte/pufa68_2009-07.pdf[/QUOTE]lol i cant read dutch ill take your word for it, so the brown bag has no gypsum in it?

glad i didnt comment m8 ,id have said the same lol :oops: but if you see any strange bags with putz in the name it usually means render!

Putz only means Mortar/plaster etc., MP75 Maschinen Putz 75 (machine mortar) it does contain gypsum. I did'nt paint the repair and when it's really damp outside it goes a little bit pinkish. I did wonder whether to use it myself because in the description it said " for all internal walls and ceilings, except bathrooms with regular over 70% humidity. "AND FOR ALL OTHER ELEVATIONS", which got me confused. So for the OP and his description of what he wanted a "cheap fix" with insulation properties recommend the MP75. My nieghbour had his whole house rendered at the same time I repaired mine and I put the gang to shame that were doing it, should have seen the time they were wasting, had my ladder up, done the job and away before you could say Jack Robinson and almost an invisable repair. The original render is proberly only sand and lime as does'nt seem they used cement before the second world war, of course it did'nt fall off on it's own and I repaired the gutters first ;)

Putz only means Mortar/plaster etc., MP75 Maschinen Putz 75 (machine mortar) it does contain gypsum. I did'nt paint the repair and when it's really damp outside it goes a little bit pinkish. I did wonder whether to use it myself because in the description it said " for all internal walls and ceilings, except bathrooms with regular over 70% humidity. "AND FOR ALL OTHER ELEVATIONS", which got me confused. So for the OP and his description of what he wanted a "cheap fix" with insulation properties recommend the MP75. My nieghbour had his whole house rendered at the same time I repaired mine and I put the gang to shame that were doing it, should have seen the time they were wasting, had my ladder up, done the job and away before you could say Jack Robinson and almost an invisable repair. The original render is proberly only sand and lime as does'nt seem they used cement before the second world war, of course it did'nt fall off on it's own and I repaired the gutters first ;)
:eek: in an earlier post you asked me where did i get the (its only for indoors from)now you have posted that it says for all internal walls and all other "elovations" what ever that means and the fact that it has gyspum in it, which over here you never use gypsum based plasters on the outside, the fact that it is going pink in the rain suggests to me it is soaking up water, does it say anwhere on the bag that it is for external applications? you have already stated it says for internal, any chance you can translate what it says exactly on the brown bag or see if you can give us a link to it in english? cheers

What got me in the instructions, it says it can be used on internal walls and all other elevations (that being external) also the the designation MP75 G/F Gypsum/Fassade (facade) It does absorb water slightly as indicated by the colour change, but it is only slightly and nobody else seems to notice it, but what render is totally water/moisture-proof?
In Britain you do things differently and always will as have always done it so :LOL: In fact nowhere else in europe do they totally plaster over plasterboard but only do the seams. I'll try and look for some info in english.

we waterproof our own render and your right we do do things differently to other euros but thats why uk spreads rank as the best in the world:cool:

:eek: in an earlier post you asked me where did i get the (its only for indoors from)now you have posted that it says for all internal walls and all other "elovations" what ever that means and the fact that it has gyspum in it, which over here you never use gypsum based plasters on the outside, the fact that it is going pink in the rain suggests to me it is soaking up water, does it say anwhere on the bag that it is for external applications? you have already stated it says for internal, any chance you can translate what it says exactly on the brown bag or see if you can give us a link to it in english? cheers
http://www.knauf.de/pdf/bilder/katalog/33769/prospekte/p10_putze_engl_23022009_screen.pdf read through this and it does'nt say anywhere for external use but it also does'nt say not to :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back