Best roofing options for low pitch ground floor extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice/recommendations as to which of the following options would be best for a low pitch (10-12 degrees) ground floor extension roof (6m long x 3m wide)

1. aluminium or other steel (not found anyone willing to do this?)

2. versasteel tiles

3. ondutile system & slates or tiles

4. kingspan roof system

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Who's paying for this extension? If he is unfamiliar with their construction, your builder should not be fitting a metal roof anyway, he should be employing a metal roofer and no doubt he is reluctant as its less money in his pocket.

The labour cost would be exactly the same regardless of your choice of material as the installation method is the same.

Material cost:

Zinc £1400
Stainless steel £1000
Copper £2100
Aluminium £1000

This is based on 18 metre squared of roof. In my opinion zinc is best for domestic use, stainless steel doesn't look as good aesthetically speaking but is very durable. Copper is the best but costs a lot, I would advise against aluminium due to detailing issues but it's your call.

Hope this helps.

Oh I get that name finally!

I read it as 'Hard-me-talking'.

I should have read it as 'Hard-metal-king'.

Quite funny really. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dont mean to hi jack post in anyway, but have been considering using Colorcoat Urban for a similar extension - this is a prefinished steel roofing system.

Hardmetalking - have you ever used this?

I am just at the stage of getting the job priced and had previously thought of using a single ply system, but would prefer a "solid" roofing material.

What tends to be the make up of the roof below a steel finish, working off a timber deck - the same as a torched on/single ply finish?

Because copper is so expensive, not only is it more expensive to fit, there is also more chance it will get nicked and thus leave you without a roof. Same goes for lead.
For a roof like yours you could use GRP which is permanently bonded to the roof and has almost no scrap value unlike a metal roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back