Best roofing options for low pitch ground floor extension?

Sponsored Links
str - the roof build up below the steel is exactly the same as a single ply roof.
I haven't used colorcoat urban but i have used a similar material. I WOULDN'T recommend it. It's cheap as chips and looks it. In my opinion you get what you pay for. i can provide a stainless steel material with a lifetime guarantee.

leew2 - copper isn't more expensive to fit and I've NEVER heard of a copper roof being stolen but have heard of lots of lead roofs being stolen.

• Thanks
Reactions: str
thanks hardmetalking - need to calculate the area but it sounds as though, from your previous post, that zinc isnt overly expensive - i am sure my total roof area is less than 18 sq m.

any chance you do work in central scotland?!!

Sponsored Links
Excellent :D

Will need to get your company details although I know your ot meant to advertise ;)

Dont mean to hi jack post in anyway, but have been considering using Colorcoat Urban for a similar extension - this is a prefinished steel roofing system.

Hardmetalking - have you ever used this?

I am just at the stage of getting the job priced and had previously thought of using a single ply system, but would prefer a "solid" roofing material.

What tends to be the make up of the roof below a steel finish, working off a timber deck - the same as a torched on/single ply finish?

I have checked out their website and would be interested. However all these new systems appear to be geared towards commercial/large builds? The problem is finding someone who can fit this and if you can get the company to deliver for a small extension?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm in the preliminary stages of looking into roof renovation and am very interested in Tata's Colorcoat Urban. I saw it at the Nation Self-build and Renovation Centre at Swindon. Does anyone know a rough price for this product and whether it's viable to DIY install?

It would be to replace the asbestos roofing on my house that is reaching the end of its life (approx 65 years old). The roof structure is system built steel, so needs a lightweight replacement covering.

I thought the Colorcoat would look great and be in keeping with the house, giving a more modern and smart take on the original asbestos sheeting. I'm not so keen on the fake tile systems like Decratile as I don't see the need to disguise the fact it's a system-built home and make it all twee.

Here are some photos of the roof (approx 7x7m, 25 degree pitch) and the Colorcoat on a new building.

IMAG0053.jpg

IMGP5370.jpg

House_2215.jpg

The other option is to clean up your sheets and get them painted with a waterproofer like liquid plastics or similar.

Tata colourcoat urban is in the region of £30sq for supply and fit.If you supply Tata with drawings they will work out total costings and recommend local installers.This roofing system is not self supporting and would need a ply substrate or similar.

Thanks Jerry, that sounds pretty reasonable. I realised it would need to go onto 18mm ply or OSB. As the purlins are more than 1 m apart there'll probably need to be further support which may be the tricky part. What kind of drawing would Tata need?

There was a similar product called Vieo on display but to me it had a much thinner, sharper edged and cheaper look. This was on an eye-level display so perhaps it wouldn'tlook much different at roof level, but the Colorcoat inspired more confidence.

If you speak to the colourcoat urban team on 01244 892199 and speak to Amanda-Hinks Edwards she can tell you exactly. What is required to give you a quote.
They also offer 1day free courses for those attempting the DIY route which to be honest yours is probably as straight forward as they come

If you speak to the colourcoat urban team on 01244 892199 and speak to Amanda-Hinks Edwards she can tell you exactly. What is required to give you a quote.
They also offer 1day free courses for those attempting the DIY route which to be honest yours is probably as straight forward as they come

Thanks Jerry, I have contacted Amanda Hinks-Edwards and she has given me a rough price of £25 per square metre ex VAT and delivery which seems reasonable.

The main problem I see is fitting the OSB3 or 18mm ply to the existing steel purlins as they are probably too far apart to support it adequately. I'd rather not put rafters on top of the purlins as that would raise the roof level and make the eaves detail difficult, so I was thinking of bolting a timber framework between them.

Any ideas?

Thanks Jerry, I have contacted Amanda Hinks-Edwards and she has given me a rough price of £25 per square metre ex VAT and delivery which seems reasonable.

The main problem I see is fitting the OSB3 or 18mm ply to the existing steel purlins as they are probably too far apart to support it adequately. I'd rather not put rafters on top of the purlins as that would raise the roof level and make the eaves detail difficult, so I was thinking of bolting a timber framework between them.

Any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back