best route for gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

what's the "best option" (good practice) for rerouting a gas pipe when moving a boiler? the existing pipe goes through the back of the kitchen units (above floor), from under the stairs. as the boiler is set to be moved to the newly built extension, what's the best way to route the pipe?

I'm not too keen on a copper pipe going through the screed, mainly because while it is possible, the idea that something shifting/cracking/contracting might snap the pipe. it's also not easily accessible for maintenance and it involves breaking the screed in the original part of the house.

above the ground is cheap and easy, but it needs to travel to the opposite corner of the house. as this is an open plan kitchen, it will be visible somewhere and it needs protection as well, so maybe not an option either.

through the roof would be my preference, but I don't know if this is common practice or whether I should review my first option.

any thoughts?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Your gas pipe can go basically wherever you want it to (within reason), so that's really up to where you want it. If it's to be embedded in concrete then certain criteria would need to be followed, anywhere else then your GSR will advise if it's ok. Once agreed they will calculate load and effective length to see what size of pipe will be needed to ensure the correct operation of the appliance(s). Long lengths with lots of twists and turns may need a larger pipe to ensure a correct gas supply

I took mine (in 28mm copper) from the outside meter at the front of the house and concealed it from view behind a handy rainwater downpipe ... this took me to within a couple of inches of the soffit whereupon it joined on to 28mm tracpipe and entered the loft space. It's easy to handle tracpipe (being flexible) and I ran 10 metres of it across the loft to a convenient point where it could drop down into the airing cupboard (situated centrally in the floor plan of the house. From there it could either supply a combi in the airing cupboard or be taken via the bathroom into the attached garage and supply either a combi or a heat only replacement. At the moment it's just capped off awaiting decisions/developments etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back