gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im goint to take a gas pipe to the new kitchen and a litle unsure whats the best way to route the pipe. is it best below or above ground?

If i was to bury it below ground what depth of concrete do i need to to break up?

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about the details, your installer will know exactly how to do it.

Sponsored Links
Im sure he can, but i'd like to have opinions from others as to whats the best way. And i'd also have to make a channel in the concrete if its to go in flooring. What depth is it normally buried at?

Im sure he can, but i'd like to have opinions from others as to whats the best way.
In that case, what you should do is get a RGI that you trust in stead of using a layman's intepretation of the opinion of people that have not seen the job.

Look i've come on here for a bit of advice. How hard could it possibly be to answer my straight question. I've had a gas man tell me its best to bury pipe underground and another tell me its best to leave above ground.

If it is to go below ground all i'm asking is how much of the Bloody concrete do i have to dig out. 2inch depth 3inch depth.....? how hard is that.

why make more work for yourself or others? if it can go above ground just leave it there.

... all i'm asking is how much of the Bloody concrete do i have to dig out. 2inch depth 3inch depth.....? how hard is that.
It is not as simple as that, there are a number of factors that can only be determined on site e.g. quality of floor, thickness, support, size of pipe, type of pipe.
Presumably, you expect the installer to guarantee his work, which he can not reasonably do without knowing all the details.

The pipe should ideally be in an openable duct.

If you must bury it in concrete then normally 50 mm minimum cover is
required, more in some situations

But the pipe much be protected against corrosion.

I prefer to run it in foam insulation to allow movement and give it a little protection against any movement of the concrete. Oddly the regulations dont actually ask for that in concrete slabs or floors.

BUT its better to keep the gas pipe above the floor! Far cheaper to deal with any leaks or modifications.

Tony

Thanks for the post. I have another query about a wet room drainage. The floor is concrete and i wish to install a shower trap connected with a 2 or 3inch pipe to the toilet drain. Can you tell me approximate how much space i would need to create from top of floor level to fit in the shower trap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back