Best size of wall bolts for Aerial "T" and "K

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well after my thread last November I am finally about to install my outside aerial. :oops: (a few notes below).

But my question for tomorrow's task is... what are the best wall bolts to use? The T and K are 12" size and I will be putting them about 80 cms apart for a 3 meter pole. The wall is a very good quality dense brick circa 1950s (not the cheaper sort used nowadays!!!).

The specific reason I am asking is that when I bought the aerial pole from TLC I bought some all metal expanding type bolts from TLC that seemed to be the ones recommended, but seem pretty darned large!!! They are Rawlbolt M10 which need a 16mm dia hole drilling in the brick. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FXRBM10.html

Looking on the Satcure site he seems to talk about plastic wall plugs of the sort used by Sky for mini dishes, which would be a lot easier.

Just a few notes ... any comments welcome..... - Today I put a small log periodic aerial on the end of the pole and positioned it around in the general area I was proposing to put the aerial and was very pleased with the analog signal quality from Crystal Palace. We are in Maidenhead 30 miles away just about level with the bottom of the Thames valley and normally a bit of a tricky reception area. I then coupled up a DTV box and got an amazing maximum rating digital signal quality. I was very surprised, as we have a Triax Unix 52 aerial (14.5dB forward gain) in the loft (slate roof) with poor results, and I was proposing to use this outside because of its high gain. But after the good results with the log periodic I think I'll give that a try first! I'm not sure of the spec of the log periodic but its much lower gain than the Triax. Fortunately because of the positioning I will have a short aerial lead of about 3 meters before it goes into a distribution amp in the loft.

I used a log periodic for the signal checking exercise because it is much lighter than the Triax and easier to wave about to check for best position. :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks RF Lighting...that seems a very professional way! I guess to simplify my question I am asking whether there is a size of bolt/fixing that is a bit more substantial than the plastic plugs and coach bolts that are used to secure Sky dishes. But not quite as massive as the M10 Rawlbolt anchor sleeve bolts which mean I have to drill holes 16mm diameter in the bricks! If ever I had to move or remove the brackets it would leave quite a lot of hole to disguise. :(

For example would any aerial fitter on the forum care to comment on whether M6 or M8 shield anchors would be ok for this application?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I'm no aerial fitter, but I've done a few. I wouldn't say sleeve anchors were overkill, I've used M8 & M10, the plastic plugs & coach bolts are sufficient for dishes as the wind loading is significantly less than a mast mounted aerial.

If, like me you don't like heights, you only want to install it once. Falling down is not an option (the array or myself)!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back