Best substitute for Honeywell zone valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Honeywell is great, but so expensive now. Do you know best substitute?
Ideally fitting the Honeywell valve nuts and same length.

Sponsored Links
Keep it.

Zone valves are easy to strip down and clean. The head can be serviced with a new synchronization motor or microswitch.

We chuck enough stuff away tbh. These things shouldn't be one of them.

Cheaper Valves aren't always cheaper long term, I suspect the Honeywell would be more likely to outlast anything the competition offers. It's always worth checking the valve itself is free and moves as expected, motors and heads can be changed relatively easily without disturbing the plumbing then.

Myson aren’t bad valves, nor are Drayton/Danfoss.

Sponsored Links
Myson aren’t bad valves, nor are Drayton/Danfoss.

After striping down my myson 2way valve body, i am happy to say that unless they (bodies) are leaking, they are bombproof and can be cleaned very easily and have no reason to be removed. They are ingeniously simple.

Drayton seemed the most reliable of the main stream manufacturers. The heads are replaceable on all but the earliest models(as are Honeywell) the paddle can be replaced if needed (so can Honeywell with new ball and plate), the motors can be replaced (like Honeywell, but Drayton need the spade connectors). The Draytons do have a fault where the return spring locating post snaps, but this can be rectified with a suitable length and diameter nut and bolt.

It's a good job Drayton valve heads are easily changed. I found the 3 port Y plan would last about 2 years if lucky. When servicing, it was the only head I carried as a spare.

I agree with the two years life of the spring return type, it generally fits with my own experience.

If you can and if the actuator is mounted above / over the water valve, so no water can enter the actuator - then I would strongly suggest looking at MOMO actuators for longevity. They involve no springs at all, and it is the powerful springs in the spring return actuators which put extreme wear on the mechanism and cause most of the issues. In addition, in the MOMO type, the motor is only powered to change position, once position is achieved they are off. The spring return type, rely upon keeping the motor powered, but stalled for all but the HW only position - producing unnecessary internal heat.

DRAYTON OR PLUMBCENTRE own brand which is a rebadged valve made by honeywell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back