3 Way (mid) valves - best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which is the best 3 way valve to go for? The cheapest would seem to be BES with a ORKLI. Next in prices is Horstmann, then Danfoss, then Honeywell. But which is the best? Honeywell seems to have a wire causes the valve to stay in its last state where as Horstmann always returns. But which is best, given that valves can stick.

Opinions?

Sponsored Links
Sunvic is probably best. It's "motor open, motor close" so the motor doesn't get burnt out fighting a spring. Most of these valves are c rap, so don't expect a life of more than 5 years for the head.

i got no probs with honeywell, but looking @ a screwfix catalogue, the danfoss control pack is pretty good value. and i would go danfoss. cant say ive dealt much with horstmann. but danfoss are ok, you can get directly comparible actuators if you get the ar$e with one particuliar make :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Although Honeywell valve motors do indeed 'fight a spring' all the time they're open, it's not necessarily a bad design. The Synchron motor is DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY to be energised and stalled at the same time. Ordinarily there's no problem. However, IF the ambient temperature around the valve head is not within limits, then the motor coil will fail. But that's not because its a bad motor!

I would argue that the motor open / motor close design is actually more likely to fail - it has to include more circuitry and microswitches to energise the motor according to desired and actual position. Complexity = more things to go wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back