best tape to use to stick newspaper over windows in heatwave

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

As in previous heatwaves I've stuck thick wads of newspaper over the glass in windows to reduce thermal gain.

This year however I've used 'real' masking tape, the pressure sensitive type. Spent ages this morning sticking it all up and by later afternoon it has all peeled off. I'd really pressed on the tape to stick it to the uPVC window frame but it didn't work.

Don't want to use parcel tape cos I think it'll be difficult to clean off. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mary

Sponsored Links
Will this look like that scene from The Omen?

Someone should invent some cloth things to hang in front of windows, and which can slide open and closed

Ok, windowlene - good suggestion.

Yes, I have cloth things that hang in front of the window and slide back and forth. They even have what are called 'linings' and even with the thickest, the thermal gain from the window is considerable.

Fortunately I've found that keeping the sarcasm levels low keeps me cool, man.

Sponsored Links
Some people even open the windows to let the air circulate. I've been told this helps.

Andy

Why not use greenhouse whitewash painted on the outsides - shouldn't look any more tacky than the Sun or Morning Star stuck to the windows

I would suggest using copies of the Financial Times to cover the windows,
would look very up market, and a very pretty salmon pink. colour, very cooling

How about incorporating some foil into the design to reflect the sun's rays away and temporarily dazzle passing motorists too? :D

I would not use masking tape if its going to be there a while.

I did this when younger - I paid the price with hours & hours spent trying to remove dried on tape.

If using newspapers - save up the sun & use page 3 lol

Or - get some curtains & close them.

yes, masking tape and brown plastic parcel tape will leave unsightly marks that are very hard to remove.

You can still get gummed brown-paper tape with a glue that you dampen before applying, it is much easier to remove as sponging with water dissolves the glue.

Or you could use blue-tak.

Whatever you use, sticking to the glass will not leave much of a mark; sticking to a UPVC frame can be very unsightly and hard to remove.

why not just whitewash the windows, 10 seconds to put it on, 10 seconds to clean it off - job done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back