Best temporary electric hot water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I am planning on ripping out my heating system when it gets a bit warmer, and I am thinking what might be the best way of temporarily heating water (taking the pressure off me a bit!).

My old hot water cylinder has no immersion installed, and the blanking plug is absolutely WELDED on (I've tried belting it, heating it, swearing at it - I'm just crumpling the top of the tank when I try to undo it).

It's only her and me in the house, and we don't mind short showers for a few months.

I thought maybe a tanked electric hot water heater, obviously designed for undersink use, might do the trick for a few months, ~£100 http://www.screwfix.com/p/ariston-europrisma-2kw-15litre-undersink-water-heater/60922

Or maybe a cheaper more-powerful-but-on-demand one ~£60 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-5kW-DAF..._Hearing_Cooling_Air&var=&hash=item4178f92142

Or buy a second-hand cylinder with immersion already installed? Seems less convenient from the point of view of working around it/installing the new system though.

Or indeed if you guys have any other ideas please say! Any and all help very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
boil a kettle wash in the sink

have a shower every few days at a freinds/mums/gym/swiming baths

showers in homes are a relatively new invention
go back 50 years and bathrooms where only about in every house
before that a tin bath in front off an open fire was very comon

neither heater will have the flow rate you need

15L will be a very short shower (2 mins or so on a 10L/min shower), and a 5kw instant heater will be too a low flowrate really.(think of an electric shower of that wattage.

What did you use to try removing the existing immersion boss plug? the cheap flat spanners don't always work very well. The proper box ones work a lot better. And keep tank full until freed, then drain down. full tanks are less likely to bend.

Or fit a new immersion boss? You can get solder ones, or Essex make one like a big version of the essex flange used for extra take-offs. Not cheap though, about £40 on Ebay.

what is your plan for HW when you do the new system?

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for the replies.

So the general consensus is that neither of those things are going to cut it. Will have to be an immersion heater. Great tip about trying it with the tank full. I've got decent wrenches and what not, it's just a very old manky tank. The power supply is all there - assuming the previous heater broke, I'm not sure why anybody would blank it off and not replace it with another heater.

I will look into fitting a new boss, otherwise I will keep an eye out for second-hand tanks.

Intention is to fit a sealed system with combi boiler, but I've not decided on this (current system is an old open-vent gravity-fed affair, not even any valves!).

Cheers,
Matt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back