Best temporary floor option

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We recently moved into a 1934 semi-detached. The previous owner has either done some works themselves or had an incompetent tradesman in. We will need some work done which will require access to the sub-floor space for electrical, plumbing and insulation.

The floor needs to come up but it's not straight forwards. In one of the rooms upstairs 18mm ply has been laid with a ridiculous number of screws in all directions (I am not exaggerating). Many of them will not come up due to being damaged when driven in and then some kind of filler in the heads.

Downstairs there is wood-effect laminate strips that has been glued down.

Basically I need to get all these floors up to see the lie of the land and then get trades in once I can provide unhindered access.

This process will likely be destructive and I will need to be able to cover the floor securely in between trades as I'm unlikely to be able to afford to have it all done in one go and we're living in the property. Additionally we are visited by the odd mouse and my daughters would not cope with a permanently exposed over-site.

I don't want to run a circular saw across as there is evidence of unorthodox cable and pipe runs so my plan is to take up small sections so I can see underneath before taking up the next piece. This will destroy the existing floor.

I need to get in some kind of temporary floor which can be loosely screwed so as to provide easy access to trades and also seal off the over-site in between trades.

Eventually once the work is complete we will insulate the underfloor space downstairs and install glue and screwed chipboard (or ply if planning tiles).

Can anyone suggest an interim floor that'll do the job?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
OSB will work, you can even paint it, to make it feel a bit nicer. When you are done you can use it for a shed or something. Couple of comments on the above.

If you are insulating, make sure you have suitable ventilation in your void, to avoid your joists rotting. Also make sure they are treated. Get every possible cable you might need in there. Speakers, Cat6, etc. Insulate all your plumbing pipes - makes a huge difference.

For the screws - either route them out or buy a screw extractor bit. Lidl have them in this week. Much quicker than randomly sawing. Also you should be able to set a decent circular saw to the depth of the board.

With patience the ply will come up . Not sure why you need a temporary floor as the existing board can be left in place .

Sponsored Links
Why the need for a temporary floor, if removing the existing one, plan for the replacement, use scaffold boards or plywood for trades, or consult with them as to what they require.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back